The devastated mother of a four-year-old boy who lost his battle with sepsis following hospital errors has said that her whole family is 'broken' after jury inquest found he died of 'natural causes'.
Sheldon Farnell, from Houghton-le-Spring, died on November 26, 2018, just hours after he was discharged from Sunderland Royal Hospital.
His mother Katrina Farnell, 25, claimed that the youngster died as a result of being 'deeply' neglected by doctors who failed to give him antibiotics which expert witnesses said would have saved his life.
But a majority jury of nine has since concluded that her little boy died of natural causes following a five-day inquest at Durham Redhills.
South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust apologised to the family for the shortcomings in his treatment and said changes have been made to 'correct the things that went so tragically wrong for Sheldon'.
Sheldon Farnell (pictured with his mother Katrina Farnell), from Houghton-le-Spring, died on November 26, 2018, just hours after he was discharged from Sunderland Royal Hospital
Following the proceedings Ms Farnell said: 'I'm very disappointed, I didn't think we would get this outcome.
'I'm just gutted, devastated. It's been very hard [to relive Sheldon's final days], I'm broken. The whole family is broken. We're all devastated.'
Coroner Derek Winter said he was writing to Health Secretary Matt Hancock to raise concerns around antibiotic medication and its administration as well as contact information at the point of admission and discharge.
The inquest heard how Sheldon's mother first took him to A&E three days before his death because he was suffering from headaches, vomiting, a high temperature and feeling lethargic.
His mother Katrina Farnell, 25, (pictured) claimed that the youngster died as a result of being 'deeply' neglected by doctors who failed to give him antibiotics which expert witnesses said would have saved his life
He had a full sceptic screening - including a lumbar puncture - but antibiotics were never given to the youngster.
Sheldon's condition began to improve and medics sent him home despite the fact that the definitive blood culture test results had not yet come back.
Experienced paediatrician Dr Geoffrey Lawson described his decision to discharge Sheldon from hospital the day before his death as his 'lifelong regret'.
Minutes after Sheldon's family left the hospital, Dr Niresha Sirinanda, a senior paediatric trainee at the time, was informed the boy's final blood culture tests returned a 'gram positive' result for Group A streptococcus - a bacteria that can cause sepsis.
The four-year-old boy lost his battle with sepsis following hospital errors
There were numerous attempts to contact the family but these were unsuccessful and a statement from Ms Farnell confirmed that all three numbers on record were not in use.
Sheldon's condition deteriorated during the night due to being in septic shock but when he was rushed back into hospital in the early hours of Monday morning doctors were unable to save his life.
The jury at the inquest heard that Sheldon would have survived had hospital staff administered antibiotics instead of sending him home.
Dr Nelly Ninis, a paediatric consultant, said staff missed four 'clear' opportunities to give the youngster intravenous antibiotics - three while he was in a hospital bed.
She told the jury: 'Had he (Sheldon) managed to be recalled or had he not left the hospital and received intravenous antibiotics, I think the whole thing would have been stopped dead in its tracks before the onset of septic shock.'
This view is echoed by Sheldon's distraught family, who are still struggling to come to terms with the loss of the little boy who 'loved life'.
Clutching a picture of her grandson, which had been at the front of the court throughout the week-long inquest, Nicola Jamieson said: 'We've had to relive from when Sheldon took poorly until the day he died, up to his funeral, and the last two and a half years we've all had to support each other some way or another.
'To get an outcome like today it's just absolutely devastating. It's so wrong.
'This little boy, he's not meant to be dead, he's meant to be here with us and his mam. And he's not and he's been taken away and he's only four. It's not fair.'
Sheldon's distraught family are still struggling to come to terms with the loss of the little boy who 'loved life'. Pictured: Sheldon with his mother Katrina (left) and with his uncle Daniel Robson (right)
Experienced paediatrician Dr Geoffrey Lawson described his decision to discharge Sheldon from hospital the day before his death as his 'lifelong regret'
His great-grandmother Hilda Jamieson added: 'Sheldon loved life, he really did. He loved life. It should never have happened to him.
'I still personally say had he have gotten the necessary medication on the Friday when he was admitted we wouldn't be here now. He would be still standing with us.
'I'm very disappointed about this outcome.'
Dr Paul McAndrew, deputy medical director at South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust said many lessons have been learned from Sheldon's tragic death.
He said: 'On behalf of South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust, I would like to once again offer our condolences to Sheldon's family and apologise unreservedly on behalf of the Trust for the shortcomings in the care Sheldon received.
'There are no words to adequately express the regret we have in the tragic loss of young Sheldon on the morning of Monday 26th November 2018.
South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust apologised to the family for the shortcomings in his treatment
'Everyone involved in Sheldon's care has been deeply affected by his death.
'The complexity of recognising Sepsis in children is a major challenge.
'We continue to undertake widespread education of our staff about the recognition and management of Sepsis. We have also made important changes should we ever need to recall any child to hospital in future.
'As recognised by the independent paediatric expert, Dr Ninis, the Trust has taken Sheldon's death very seriously and there has been comprehensive review of processes and policies in line with national guidance.
'There has been, and will continue to be, much learning from this tragedy.
'There is nothing I can say to Sheldon's family that will ever ease their pain, but I do want to reassure them, once again, of the steps we have taken to correct the things which went so tragically wrong for Sheldon.'