Queen made secret visit to Westminster Abbey to mark centenary of Unknown Soldier’s burial hours before second lockdown

2 weeks ago 1

THE Queen made a secret visit to Westminster Abbey just hours before England went into a second lockdown, it has emerged.

Her Majesty, 94, left Windsor Castle for London yesterday to mark 100 years since the burial of the Unknown Soldier.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

The Queen was pictured leaving Windsor Castle on Wednesday

3

The Queen was pictured leaving Windsor Castle on WednesdayCredit: �Jim Bennett / Kelvin Bruce

It was her final outing before fresh lockdown restrictions

3

It was her final outing before fresh lockdown restrictionsCredit: ©Jim Bennett / Kelvin Bruce

The Queen marked 100 years since the burial of the Unknown Soldier

3

The Queen marked 100 years since the burial of the Unknown SoldierCredit: David Bebber - The Times

The Queen was pictured leaving Windsor Castle dressed all in black before returning two hours later.

She was greeted by the Dean of Westminster Abbey, The Very Reverend David Hoyle, according to the Court Circular.

The reason for her outing, however, was not announced at the time.

The Court Circular for November 4 reads: "The Queen this morning commemorated the Centenary of the burial of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey, London SW1, and was received at the Great West Door by the Dean of Westminster (the Very Reverend Dr David Hoyle)."

The Unknown Soldier was buried at Westminster Abbey on November 11 1920 but lockdown restrictions mean commemorations had to take place in advance. 

The Duchess of Cornwall also attended Westminster Abbey yesterday, standing in for Prince Harry to visit the Field of Remembrance.

She was pictured standing in front of crosses from the Graves of the Unknown, before laying her own cross of remembrance and bowing her head in reflection.

LOCKED DOWN

The Queen will live under the latest lockdown restrictions within her "HMS Bubble" in Windsor Castle for at least the next four weeks.

The Duke of Edinburgh travelled to Berkshire from Sandringham on Monday to join Her Majesty, a move a Buckingham Palace spokesman said had been planned for a while.

The Sun also revealed this week that it will mean the Royals will spend their 73rd wedding anniversary together in Windsor on November 20.

It comes after staff at Sandringham had complained Covid-19 ‘royal bubble’ restrictions kept them away from their families.

And unrest is still growing among those unwilling to isolate from loved-ones during the festive period.

The mutiny is said to involve about 20 staff including cleaners, laundry and maintenance workers.

Latest

RAPE CHARGE

Man, 26, charged with rape and kidnap of teen girl in Mitcham

Exclusive

'LOVE CHEAT'

Ryan Giggs arrest 'sparked by girlfriend's fears he was cheating with 2 women'

Exclusive

'NIGHTMARE'

Corrie star's hell as mum's ARRESTED just for taking gran, 97, from care home

LOCKDOWN LOCO

Drinkers hit pubs for final fling hours before 2nd national lockdown begins

Exclusive

CASH BOOST

Rishi set to extend furlough beyond December as £150bn extra pumped into economy

Latest

BLUE WALL

Biden insists he WILL win after taking key states but Trump SUES to stop counts

A source said previously: "Philip is keen to spend his anniversary with the Queen.

“They spent seven months together in HMS Bubble due to Covid-19 this year and only been apart for a few weeks now.

“It is also seen as a chance for staff at Sandringham to have a break so that they will feel better about working at Christmas. But Christmas is still up in the air.”

David Beckham spends the day with heroic Chelsea Pensioners as he backs The Sun's Poppy Appeal

Read Entire Article