PRINCE Harry and Meghan Markle’s exit from the Royal family has been slammed as “horribly disrespectful” by palace insiders.
A royal source claimed the Duke and Duchess can’t ‘line their pockets’ while undertaking royal duties as a war of words with Buckingham Palace escalated last night.
👑 Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the very latest news...Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s exit from the Royal family has been slammed as “horribly disrespectful” by palace insidersCredit: AP:Associated Press The Duke and Duchess yesterday confirmed they would not be returning as working members of the Royal FamilyCredit: AFP or licensors
The Duke and Duchess yesterday confirmed they would not be returning as working members of the Royal Family.
Despite the move, they will retain their titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex and will remain His and Her Royal Highness.
But they can't use their HRHs in day-to-day life as they aren't working members of the Royal Family anymore.
The move sparked fury last night as palace sources told the Daily Mail the manner of the Sussexes' exit from Royal life had been "disrespectful".
An insider told the Mail: “You can't line your pockets while undertaking official duties.”
And another source claimed it was “unconscionable” of the Sussexes to have had the last word, after the pair hit back at the Queen after she stripped them of their Royal titles.
A statement released by the Palace said The Queen wrote to say that it is “not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service”.
But Harry and Meghan hit back and said: "We can all live a life of service. Service is universal."Prince Harry and Meghan Markle said they remained committed to the UK
According to the Daily Mail, the Duke of Sussex pushed to restart talks over his and Meghan’s royal position earlier this year.
An insider told the paper there was a “puzzling sense of urgency” to his requests to get talks over the line which reportedly confused officials at Buckingham Palace.
But when the news of Meghan’s “tell all” interview with Oprah Winfrey broke earlier this week it “all became clear”, the source added.
The move was seen as “shocking” by the royal household who had hoped to make a joint statement about the Duke and Duchess’ future earlier this week, the Mail reports.
The couple dramatically quit the Royal Family last year, and are now living in the US as they raise Archie and await the arrival of their second child.
As a result of the move, the Sussexes will lose their patronages, with Harry being stripped of his honorary military titles as part of the agreement.
Harry and Meghan had wanted to keep representing their military, Commonwealth and other royal patronages — while making millions from private deals.
A spokesman for the Sussexes insisted there was "absolutely no question" Harry and Meghan wanted to keep the positions they had lost.
The spokesman told the Mail: "They do respect the decision but they always made clear they were committed to doing the roles."
Following the Sussexes statement, senior royals were said to be furious at the couple's “hurtful jibe” especially as 99-year-old Prince Philip lay sick in his hospital bed.
Royal author Penny Junor said: “It does draw a line. It’s hurtful but every divorce is hurtful.
"This is the decree absolute."
The Sussexes’ decision to quit royal life indefinitely came a month before the March 31 deadline for a review of their new post-Megxit life.
Meghan was not involved in the talks with the Queen who spoke only to Harry directly via video call.
Harry also held “amicable” talks with other senior royals, including brother William and dad Charles, as early as January.
They have also started their own foundation, Archewell, and launched a podcast series with Spotify believed to be worth £30m.