Second 14-year-old boy is arrested for the murder of schoolboy, 15

1 month ago 9

A second 14-year-old boy has been arrested for the murder of Keon Lincoln, 15, (pictured) who was killed outside his home by a gang of youths armed with guns and knives

A second 14-year-old boy has been arrested for the murder of a schoolboy, 15 who was killed outside his home by a gang of youths armed with guns and knives. 

Keon Lincoln, 15, died in hospital after witnesses heard shots fired in the Handsworth area of Birmingham in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

A 14-year-old boy was arrested in Birmingham on Friday night on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning.

Another 14-year-old boy, arrested on Friday morning, also remains in custody.

Police have not yet revealed how Keon - who lived in the area - lost his life but have said they believe five or six youths were involved.  

A post mortem examination will take place in due course - as neighbours say he was shot by the gang before being stabbed multiple times.

Detective Chief Inspector Alastair Orencas, from the force's homicide unit, said: 'This is a challenging investigation given the number of offenders we believe were involved, but I have a dedicated team of officers working 24/7 to identify those involved and we are making swift progress.

'This arrest is another step forward and Keon's family have been fully updated with this latest development.

'My thoughts remain with them in their time of grief.'

Emergency services rushed to the scene following the ambush at around 3.30pm on Thursday.

Pictured: Police forensic investigators examine the scene where the crashed suspected getaway car was abandoned in Wheeler Street, Handsworth, Birmingham, on Thursday night

The suspects fled on foot after crashing a Ford hatchback into a house on a nearby road sparking a police manhunt. 

Highly-trained police officers joined paramedics in a battle to save his life on scene before Keon was rushed to hospital but tragically he died shortly after his arrival. 

Locals claim the teenager's mother - a cleaner at a local school who has four other children - had been left 'inconsolable' by the tragedy.  

Keon's family yesterday released a heart-breaking tribute to him, saying: 'It is with profound grief that we announce the passing of our beloved Keon, who was senselessly taken from us on Thursday, January 21.

'Keon was a fun loving 15-year-old who was full of life and love for his family and friends. 

'He had an infectious laugh that lit up the room whenever he was in it. 

'The family is grateful for the kind support from everyone. We seek the public assistance from everyone. 

Keon died in hospital after witnesses heard shots fired in the Handsworth area of Birmingham in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon. Pictured: Paramedics and police at the scene

Paramedics at the scene after Keon was attacked in broad daylight on Thursday

'We seek the public assistance in sharing any information that will help the police bring justice for Keon and closure for his family. 

'Again we thank you for your support and kindly ask us for privacy as we grieve this devastating loss.'

Chief Superintendent Steve Graham, policing commander for Birmingham West, said officers had yet to establish a motive for the murder of Birmingham teenager Keon Lincoln, but believe around five or six youths were involved.

Speaking at West Midlands Police HQ, the officer said the 15-year-old victim had died at Birmingham Children's Hospital despite the best efforts of highly-trained police officers and paramedics sent to the scene.

Asked what was known to have occurred, Mr Graham said: 'We are not sure of all the details at the moment, but we do know that Keon was set upon by this group and suffered a series of serious injuries.' 

Police officers searching the scene in Handsworth on Friday where Keon was killed

He said of the victim's family's grief: 'It is unimaginable. Who could prepare themselves to lose a 15-year-old son? It's almost indescribable, the pain they must be going through.'

One resident, a family friend who wished to remain anonymous, said Keon's mother has four other children - with one believed to be as young as four.

They said: 'It's just so sad. He's just a young boy and hasn't gone anywhere in life yet and his life is gone.

'I know his mum as she works at a school as a cleaner.

'I feel for the mother because she's just such a lovely person and she's my friend. I just feel bad, I wish I could take her flowers and have a little vigil for him.

'It happened outside her own house.

'As he was on the stretcher, they had his clothes cut off and a big old plaster on the right side. 

'Then there was a police chase for probably around 10 minutes afterwards, we heard the sirens.

Police at scene of the attack where a cordon was in place in Handsworth, on Thursday night

'We were just watching a movie and chilling and having a laugh at the time and thought nothing more of it. The whole thing is just horrible.' 

Another neighbour, who has lived on the road his whole life, said he was horrified by Keon's murder.

He said: 'I went out on the road after hearing all the sirens. Many of us did. It was chaos and I'll never forget the boy's mother who was hysterical as he was taken away in an ambulance.

'They had to stop her getting in the ambulance saying there is nothing that she can do. People were comforting her. It was heartbreaking.

'I prayed for that boy and when I heard he had passed away I was devastated. It is another sad loss of life. Families destroyed.

'I have been on this road all my life. Back in my day it was fist fighting and go home and now it is guns and knives and those involved are so young.'

Officer stands at the cordon in Handsworth last night where suspects crashed the getaway car

Forensic detectives, some wearing all-white suits, continued to search the roadside and gutters this afternoon looking for anything that might be connected to the attack.

Half of the terraced street was sealed off by police tape.

Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: 'This is a sad day for this street. 

'For this to happen in broad daylight during a lockdown is unbelievable. I did not hear anything until I heard the sirens. My thoughts go out to the family of the boy.' 

Another resident, who also wished to remain anonymous, said: 'I know the mum to say hello to but I didn't know her children that well.

'They all seem like nice kids. The mum is inconsolable apparently, but that goes without saying. You can't imagine the pain she must be going through right now.'

Another local added: 'I didn't hear anything about it until I heard all the police cars and ambulances, it was a hell of a lot of noise and quite chaotic.

West Midlands Police cordoned off an area in Handsworth area following the shooting

'So I obviously went outside to check to see what was going on and saw the commotion. There was a lot of people and police cars.

'I thought there had just been a car accident or something not that somebody had died. It's just terribly sad, that's a little boy and he's so young being 15 years old.'   

A West Midlands Police spokesperson added: 'Anyone who saw what happened and has not yet spoken to us should contact us urgently via Live Chat on our website or by calling 101.

'Information can be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.'

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Thursday: 'We received a number of calls to Linwood Road in Handworth, at 3.39pm this afternoon.

'Three ambulances, a paramedic officer, a critical care paramedic and a BASICS emergency doctor attended and arrived on scene to find a male requiring emergency treatment.

'Ambulance crews provided advanced trauma care on scene before conveying him to hospital on blue lights.'    

Read Entire Article